Once upon a time in midwinter, when the snowflakes were falling like feathers from heaven, a consultant sat programming at his laptop, writing some code to extract and transform the legacy system's data into the new SAP format. He had no idea how to make the code right without messing up with the data quality. He became more and more afraid, and finally began to cry.
Then suddenly he found a video on YouTube explaining the Rapid Data Migration methodology to move data properly into SAP without writing any coding:
Then the consultant was very happy, and if he has not died, he is still alive... and on that note:
Once you’ve made the decision to move to SAP from other applications, you are faced with the challenge of migration, just as with any other software application. Migration is a major task and key for a successful implementation. You’ll need a reliable, fast, and effective solution to transition your existing enterprise software to SAP's solutions - on premise and in the cloud.
The second episode of Frank & Mike's SAP Services YouTube blog outlines how you get the most out of your SAP implementation by finding the right migration path. The key is to start with clean, valid, business-ready data following a best practices approach for data migration using the Rapid Data Migration methodology.
SAP Data Services is a key element of SAP’s solutions for Enterprise Information Management (EIM). Data Services provides capabilities for data integration, data quality management, and text data processing. For the purposes of data migration, the focus is on the data integration and data quality management capabilities. It is an extraction, transformation, and loading (ETL) tool for ETL aspects from many sources and target systems. Together with the data quality piece, it is best suited for migration between non-SAP applications to SAP.
SAP Data Migration software is used across the following steps:
- Profile and extract data from the source system (i.e., understand the data structure and field content of the source system, such as if there are special values for fields and understanding the format of specific fields)
- Map the data to the target data structures and fields including value mapping (i.e., defining translation values if necessary)
- Validate the data against the target business context (i.e., the business rules of the target system, such as if there are specific fields required or if the country codes are correct)
- Load the data into the target SAP system
- Reconcile the data between the target SAP system and the source system
- Repeat the entire process iteratively until the data is ready for loading into the production target system
Interested and want to learn more? Read the data migration blog A better way to migrate your SAP data with Rapid Deployment Solutions and check out the data migration forum in our community page Data Migration.